Should Gymnastics Be a High School Sport

Amelia Bowden, Staff Writer

Should gymnastics be a high school sport? I personally think that it should because I know a bunch of people would join the team. It is a great way to show off your skills and flexibility, also it will help you stay in shape but let’s look at other students’ opinions. According to the survey I made 37.5% say that it should and 37.5% say that it shouldn’t be a high school sport. On the other hand 25% said maybe which also means they don’t care if it is one or not.

Tioga Bennett, an eighth grader at Centennial Junior High, says “I think gymnastics should be a school sport because it is a great way to show off your cool flips and compete. I also think it will be a great and fun sport to watch because the tricks that people can do are super cool.”

Madeline Stowe states “I don’t care if it is a high school sport or not, just because it doesn’t really involve me but I think it would be a cool sport to watch.”

According to Miranda Yakle, “I think that it should be a school sport because I would destroy everyone jk jk. But actually it would be really cool to watch.”

According to Michelle Bowden, a tumbling instructor at Rising Star Tumbling and Dance Studio, “Yes it, should be because young adults who have these skills should be able to carry it on throughout their high school years as well. For example, if you play Blades soccer growing up they get to use those skills in their high school career and possibly for scholarships in college.”

Jeremy Bowden, husband of Michelle Bowden states, “Yes I think it should be because it would be fun to watch and my daughters will probably do it, so it would be fun to watch them do a sport they love.” 

An article states (click here for more information)It helps build self-morale, determination, and better communication skills. It also improves quality of sleep, fights depression, and aids weight loss in the most effective way. Participating in gymnastics from a younger age is important. It targets all muscle groups for total-body strength and flexibility.”

In conclusion, we should bring back gymnastics for a high school sport and maybe even a middle school sport. To all of the people that got surveyed they said it would be a good idea and fun to watch. Do you agree?