Advice Column

Advice Column

Carly Wilson, Staff Writer

Have you ever been so overwhelmed and need some advice? Well don’t fret my pets, I’ve got you covered! I have asked one (1) sixth grader and two (2) eighth graders if they have any built up stress that I can help relieve. According to the American Psychological Association, “Teens report that their stress level during the school year far exceeds what they believe to be healthy (5.8 versus 3.9 on a 10-point scale).” 

Question One: “Sometimes I feel like my parents don’t believe in my dreams. Is there any way I can make them?”

Answer: Well, that can be tricky. If you are very passionate about your dream, then you should pursue it (most likely when you’re older). A lot of the time all it takes is talking to your parents about it in a non-hostile environment. Or, you could just stop talking about it until you go to college and can actually do something about it!

Question Two: “Will my family ever love me again?”

Answer: It is likely, but there are a few things you can do. The first is to do as many chores around the house as possible. Next, you should start going out a little more with friends (responsibly), to leave your family alone and get away from you. Lastly, you should always participate in conversations with your family, but never political, because we all know how heated those can get.

Question Three: “What’s one thing you regret doing or not doing in your life?”

Answer: Personally, one thing I regret doing in my life is “dating” someone before high school. For some people, there’s nothing wrong with it, but I wish I never had a “boyfriend.” 

As you can see, everyone gets stressed about something. It may seem like a very small issue, but it can snowball, and sometimes all you need to do is ask for help. Just remember that it’s not embarrassing to ask for help, especially from me, because I am extremely wise, trustworthy, and willing to help.